Monday, June 23, 2008

More Fast Weekends!

Dear Alice,

This weekend was another blur. Two weekends ago we enjoyed another few days at the cottage--lots more work accomplished, and meals on the patio where we enjoyed seeing the loons again. This time, the whole family came by!

And what a treat it was! I had never seen baby loons (for I fear that the snapping turtles have always seen them before I do!) So this was a real treat! One year when I was at the Weaving History Conference I picked up a little loon knick-knack for Scott with the babies on the back of the mother. They obliged us on Saturday, and Scott was able to get a photo since his camera has better zoom capabilities.



The day we were to leave, I knew that I still had to get the rest of my tomatoes in the ground, and I also knew that we were to expect thunderstorms most of the day. I lucked out when I arose at 5:45 for this is what the sky held for me: I put on my garden clogs post haste and got every last one in the ground before the rain came down. While we were at Lake Ann, the thunderstorms rolled through every day. Still, it was beautiful.

The long ride up and back allowed for some serious sock-knitting since Stewart was along and shared driving. So, I finished the short Tyrolean socks. After weaving in the last end and trying them both on to see how they looked, I discovered yet another mistake...one that I am still agonizing over, but alas! I swore to not rip a whole sock. You'll never see it in the Finished! photo, and I am not telling on myself.

They are lovely. The yarn is awfully soft, so I shall be curious to see how they hold up for Mom, though she has a tendency to not wear her hand-knitted socks because they are too pretty, and I think she doesn't want to wear them out. I have decided that if she receives 7 pair in one year, she may just get over keeping them in her drawer.

I also finished sock #1 of the coriolis socks during the weekend. One must arise very early every day to do that when there are so many projects not knitting-related to be done. Stewart was a big, big help to us there.

Ah, yes. What is the flower with the Tyrolean socks? 'Tis my Crambe cordifolia. I started it many years ago from seed (after sticker shock when looking at the nursery catalog). This year it had two stalks of blossoms arise from the soil.


I will stop for now, There is much, much more to report, so you can expect another card soon!

Have you been weaving this past week?
Nancy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
Your socks are beautiful and they look very soft. What a wonderful gift for your mother!

Stef

p.s. Where is Lake Ann?

Nancy JC said...

Hi Stef! Lake Ann is 8 miles NW of Interlochen Music Camp. http://www.lakeann.com/ We have a beautiful spot there.

Nancy

JuJu said...

Hi Nancy!
I love the Loon photos!! We watched this so often while living in northwest Montana, I really didn't realize what a treat it was...like we drove by them everyday and watched them. Now I realize how special that was!! Seeing two on the mother's back is amazing, I think we only have seen one carried. I always prayed they would fly south for their migration before little Lick Lake would freeze over; as they cannot take off from land...

Love the socks too! You may have to go help Mom clean out a sockie drawer!! :-)
Love,
Ju