Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Portable Projects


Dear Alice,

What did you do when on the road and couldn't take your loom along? Drawdowns, I'll bet. I prefer to keep the fingers moving, so usually it is a sock-knitting project I take along. Interweave Knits had THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SOCKS in the Fall '07 issue, the Tyrolean Socks, by Ann Budd. I had to have them! So, whilst in San Antonio, I made my fiber-fix stop at the Yarn Barn of San Antonio, bought a couple of skeins of what I mistakenly thought was wool, and began the long process of knitting these beauties. Have I said before that I am not a "lace-knitting-person"? Jaaaa, well, I am not a cable person either. The Tyrolean Socks became socks with only a 6.5 inch cuff when I had to frog them at least four (yes, four times on the last sock!!!) I had to do it. I had almost reconciled in my mind that I could fudge it. How could I not, when the piece of paper that caught my eye, underneath the chart (which was constantly being lifted out of the little plastic sleeve as I moved the place holder up), said (and I quote):

"4. Correct Your Mistakes If you discover an error in your knitting, rip it out and knit again. Rudolfs Blaumanis (1863-1908), a Latvian classical author, wrote a play entitled, "The Prodigal Son". The erring son regrets his worthless life and laments:
Why cannot one do with a spoiled life the same as with a spoiled mitten--rip it
out and start again from the beginning.
"SO. . . RIP! It is a soul purifying experience wwhich never takes as much time or trouble as you've imagined it will. If you succumb to the temptation to ignore a mistake, you may well need to give the mittens away so that the mistake does not haunt you. Or you may find yourself "confessing" to every viewer who would otherwise be in total awe of your talents." This is from Lizbeth Upitis's book Latvian Mittens. How could I go on after reading that? R-I-P!!!


These will become pair #2 of the seven I wish to give to Mom this year. Her birthday came and went last month; she says she doesn't need anything nor want anything and if you give her something, you have to come clear out a space for whatever it is. I think you can never have too many hand-knitted socks. Surely she has room in her drawer for useful clothing?



Here's the other portable project. When I first saw the Coriolis sock in Cat Bordhi's new book New Pathways for Sock Knitters last December, I could not get it out of my mind. I had to knit this sock! It is the most beautiful architecture of a sock that I have ever seen. I did my duty and knit the baby-size sock after I gifted myself and bought the book (remember the little blue ones?) Now I am fully engaged and this is a pair that will fit Mom, too. Even more in the experimenting department...these are knit with a bamboo yarn. A summer sock. Perhaps my friends in warmer climes can stand a pair of bamboo socks?

Last week I saw a photo that was so fun! An a capella group of young men at the University of Illinois, The Other Guys, were photographed for their performance in California this past winter. Every gentleman was dressed up in sport jacket, seated on a low wall with one leg resting crossed at the knee and their socks were exposed: EVERY SOCK ON EVERY GUY WAS DIFFERENT! I mean EVERY sock!!! Now there's an idea....

Alice, there are just not enough hours in every day.

Loved the rain,
Nancy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those cabled socks are gorgeous! I think they're well worth the trouble (though I know very, very well how frustrating it is to rip out knitting). Great job!