Thursday, May 29, 2008

Michigan's Answer to Texas's Bluebonnets


Dear Alice,

The lupines that I planted several years ago in a dry, sandy spot near the mailbox are alive with color. Oh, it makes me happy to see something that can survive that difficult corner! The Tall Yellow Coneflower will shine in late July, and the Little Bluestem is coming along, too.

Scott and I saw the last few blooms of the Texas Bluebonnets at the end of April and they were lovely. We have our own version here in Michigan, and they love our sandy soils. One Memorial Day weekend as we made our way north, they were resplendent in the sandy woodlands, and I resolved to try them here. They are a success--they are spreading by seed.

The colors in this photo remind me of the almost four yards of "It's Spring Alice!" that is slowly winding on the cloth beam. It will feel so good to have that piece behind me. Six shuttles. Whatever was I thinking???

We'll talk soon,
Nancy

No comments: