Monday, April 7, 2008

Day 3, Shaft Shifters












Hi again, Alice!

This was the final day of the Jason Collingwood 3-end Block Weaves Workshop. What a lot of information we all took in! Jason is a really organized teacher...I think some of us were on design-possibilities-overload. It was (every bit of it) inspiring, challenging, and made us think "what if...."



Since it was the last day, too, Jason demonstrated several ways of creating "weft protectors" with different knots. Now, if I were a sailor or a Scout I would have known most of them, but I am neither. Maybe I need a book of knots?
















And...the last day was devoted to shifting shafts and the technique to do that. What a cool idea!














At lunchtime Jason showed us a power-point presentation of photos from his very ancient village, photos of his looms, and photos of his father, Peter, as well as the senior Collingwood's macro-gauze pieces.

This whole workshop has inspired me to actually try my hand at a decent-sized rug for the cottage, and ideally a nice runner for the hall at the bedrooms. For now, though, I need to get back to finishing my samples!

I hope you are enjoying the warmer temperatures. It has been wonderful to go without a heavy coat!

Hugs, Nancy

No comments: