Saturday, April 12, 2008

Weaver's Bag o' Tricks


Hi Alice!

It would have helped if I had actually gone back to your book. It was so long since I glued a dowel to the warp that I had forgotten how to do it, but thought I knew how to do it. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....


So, sampling done, I decided that I really needed to glue the warp this time so as to not lose any more warp to experiments.

I accomplished this the other night (with a few ties and rubber bands) it dried overnight, and I was able to cut off the samples the next morning to wet finish, spin out and then mangle.







More fun things to look at, none of the critics totally agreeing, but at this point, I need to get weaving. So, the dowel with the glued warp is tied to the rod and I am ready to go back to the loom! No muss, no fuss!

Are you enjoying the April Showers? I saw Bloodroot yesterday!

Be well, Nancy

4 comments:

Katherine Regier said...

Hi, Nancy,
Greetings from a former Michigander, and UM alum.
Your weaving colors are great! Very springy and almost identical to what is on my loom!
The Elmer's Glue trick is wonderful for finishing edges for samples. I had forgotten about using it. Peggy Osterkamp taught it to me.
Keep in touch,
Kathy

Nancy JC said...

Kathy,
Ahhh, so you know from whence I come! It is a great little town, isn't it?

It was uncanny how our colors were almost identical.

Hope you get some Spring soon!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love you blog and bowled over by this gluing technique, I never saw it used before. I will definitely use this with my future samples. Thanks for the tip! Cheers Shirley www.shirleytreasure.wordpress.com

Nancy JC said...

Hi Shirley!
I hope that you received my response to your comments, but if not, THANKS! for stopping by! I read your post on WeaveTech this past weekend. Your wedding fabric is really beautiful!
Nancy