Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Snails?


Hi Alice!

About a week ago I was able to pick up my weaving/hanging after the Power Center Show where the AAFG selects several works to hang in the lobby of the Power Center for the month of February every year. I don't know that this is 'art', but I sure had fun playing and weaving! I had been itching to do something with Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii) ever since I came back from our visit to Sweden in 2004, when we had the opportunity to visit Säterglantan. I watched intently as a woman who was in the weaving class sat stripping the leaves from the straw that she was planning to weave with. In the school's shop there were mats constructed with birch branches. What an inspiring visit!

Back to Michigan. Here is a detail showing the snails that were collected along the shore at Lake Ann. All scrubbed and with a small hole drilled into the spiral in order to attach it in the fringe.



What I found most interesting was that the stems of the Big Bluestem are not hollow at all, and therefore, I think they would hold up really well as a mat at the door. We shall see as I find more time to experiment more with this beautiful, Tall Prairie grass.

For now, though, I am focused on getting the "It's Spring Alice!" warp on the loom...I hope to be weaving yardage by this weekend. And after that, I need to dress the little Macomber with linen for Jason Collingwood's workshop the first weekend of April.

For now, I hope you are getting out as the days warm to get a bit of sunshine. Be well! Nancy

No comments: