Friday, February 29, 2008

29 February 2008...Poll

Lest you ask where's the photo for today...look at the previous post. More of the same, only add at least 6 more inches of the white stuff.

So! We have an extra day this year! Surely there is something special to be done today. I can't think of anything, particularly, so please help me with this question.

One of my dear cousins has started chemotherapy this week. The plan is to make a pair of wool socks for him a.s.a.p. and here is my dilemma. I have a beautiful silky wool, charcoal grey for the main foot part, and I was thinking I would do something more "happy" for the legging part. The other day I had settled upon 8 other colors for a fair isle pattern with a nice red & gold braid at the very beginning. All these beautiful colors would naturally be covered by trousers, until you sit down and the colors appear.

OK, so he's a guy. Would he prefer plain, no frills socks so just bite the bullet and do a regular, ribbed pair? Or should I make the happy pair?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Regular socks !

No frills ! : )

Mary VR said...

Colorful, happy socks! Roy would say the same, so 2 votes for CH socks!

courtney mandryk said...

COLORFUL HAPPY SOCKS! (did you think i would say differently?)

DollyDumpling said...

Oh colourful happy, but I like to be unconventional!

Unknown said...

I say colorful happy socks! Who would want plain when they're going through chemo...? It will make him smile and he will wear them with pride. I would.

Unknown said...

I vote for the happy, colorful look! Plain sox are dull. Could you please post a photo for us when you are done? Thanks!

Rocky & Ruth said...

I would vote for colorful, happy, socks, I think they would bring a smile and be a great conversation piece. Of course, if I was wearing them I would have to take my cowboy boots off to show them to people. At home I would wear them proudly and enjoy them. Rocky, 2 Corinthians 5:15

Unknown said...

Nancy ...

"OK, so he's a guy. Would he prefer plain...?"

You expect US to know what he would like??? Ask HIM!

Didn't mean to sound too surly ... I had a stage 4 melanoma removed 11 years ago. I usually wear black of navy blue shirts but for some strange (or not too strange) reason, after the surgery I chose to wear a bright red T-shirt ... I have been told people with ruddy complexions should not wear red ... what better reason to wear it, right?

So what would I do about plain vs fancy sox? Make him the "Socks of many colors" and buy him some plain old, no-frills, regular, cheap socks and let him make the choice. If it were me (and it isn't) I would choose the Happy Socks ... he will probably do the same... but you can never tell :)

Nancy JC said...

Thank you all, for taking the time to consider what's best for my cousin. He WILL get happy, colorful, warm wool sox, some with handspun yarns incorporated!

redhedd said...

better late than never, right?

I say HAPPY SOX!!!

No question.