Wednesday, February 13, 2008

From Ewe to You!

Dear Alice,

Mary did a fabulous job this evening with her part in the three part presentation that was given this evening at the downtown library! Sadly, my photo of her with her handspun sweater, and her handspun, handwoven jacket (by Rebecca), and all the beautiful skeins turned out a little fuzzy in the low light.


Linda Koeppel, of Cape House Farm, was first to tell us about raising sheep and their needs and what a joy it has been since she and Bill first started their flock 18 years ago. (Linda was the creator of the Border Leicester/Mohair mint green blend that is posted Jan. 30th in this blog.) Neil Kentner filled us in on the different breeds he raises, his expertise in wool judging, and the Conservancy for Livestock breeds.
Here's Neil with some of his Jacob wool. He also raises Wensleydales.

It was a really good program, and it was great to see a good turn-out despite the temperatures. Do you think anyone noticed that at least one audience member was knitting a sock with handspun?

Jean was there...she's going to take a look at the brake on my little Macomber soon. It keeps slipping, and before I put anything else on it I want to have this nipped in the bud.

Sov gott!
Nancy

1 comment:

DollyDumpling said...

Hi Nancy, socks look fantastic!I'm sure your mum will love them.
The presentation look really interesting too.
We don't have access to anything like that. We go to a crafters' fair twice a year in Glasgow which takes over two conference halls. I usually come back bankrupt, having spent all my budget and also the contingency fund!
I've finished the back of the jacket, and started sleeve (the bit I hate doing) but as the heating is still broken, problems with drainage now, the house is cold and my joints are too stiff too knit.
However things are looking promising, the plumber is here, but the smell of drains is awful!

What's the next project. take care
Mary