Saturday, February 2, 2008

Making Progress

Dear Alice,

So nice to talk with you today, however briefly!

It occurs to me that today is Ground Hog's Day, meaning February 2nd, meaning only 12 days left until Valentine's Day! Since it was very clear that I was not going to finish those New England lace sox in Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road for Mom before Christmas, Valentine's Day became the new goal. I need to get knitting like a speed demon! especially if they need to be washed, blocked and dried before they go off in snail mail. Fortunately, they are both now beyond the picayune, lacey diamonds that march down the front of the leg. All that is left is mindless knitting, so I can do it in front of the tv, on the road, early in the morning, maybe even in church. No not in church. This was my first go at using the tiny cable needle by KA. It takes a little "getting used to" since it is only 9 inches long, and it worked well for this project since there were YO stitches, many little markers, and the fact that I was using a yarn that was really spun for weaving (no stretch at all). Ah yes, a little cashmere for pampering my dear mom's feet! Here they are from a couple of weeks ago. From here on out they will be on my favorite Bryspun plastic #2US ndls.


Earlier in January I could not stop myself from thinking about Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters, so sought out her book and it followed me home. I am totally smitten with the Coriolis sock! Of course, I did have to start with her tutorials for baby socks (no problem...there are little people in my life!). Carson got the first pair, and Caiden got my favorite Coriolis pair. I knit these with a Lion Brand merino/cashmere yarn that was found a year ago on sale. They are yummy!



No weaving, you say, Alice? There are lots of ideas dancing in my head. It is a weekend and I tend to write many, many more things on my 'to do' list than I ever accomplish. There was a new idea today as I read through Russell Groff's May, 1966 issue of Warp & Weft newsletter today at lunchtime. (Yes, I did spin for 20 minutes today. Buffalo down is in the works.) It would be so very cool if it could actually materialize before the fashion show in April this year (but of course one needs to have it ready for jurying in March.) That is a stretch!

'Tis pizza/movie night. I had best get going if I want to make that Shermane Fouchè skirt yet this weekend!

Be well!
Nancy

ps. Last night would have been the first time to visit the exhibition of fiber art pieces at the Power Center. Maybe the husband will indulge me and go this evening. I put the Big Bluestem/Birch bark piece in. I'll try to get a photo of it in situ for you.

No comments: