Monday, February 25, 2008

Postcard from LA

Dear Alice,



Just returned from Lake Ann (here's Saturday morning's sunrise shot) so there are few photos of weaving or knitting, though there has been a bit of progress on those fronts. The current knitting project is top secret, so instead I will show you the socks I knitted several years ago that always get worn on the LA Winter Adventure. This year, however, they were wet much of the time. The snow was impossibly deep, and my boots were impossibly short. We experienced more snow there than we have in all of our 22 years of winter trips to the cottage. It is a wonderful get-away, and though our winter trip does not take us to the land of sunshine and shorts, this trip always restores my soul, and I find a way to make it through the rest of winter.









Chelsea had a blast!



Now that I am back I will try to get more photos of the warp to fill you in.

Also, I did finish spinning the second 25 gms. of buffalo down last week before we left. Remarkably, it was 210 yards, whereas the first 25 gms. measured 208 yards. What a pleasant surprise!

'Til tomorrow,
Nancy

p.s. Mom's Valentine socks arrived on Valentine's day!

3 comments:

JuJu said...

Nancy,
Wow, beautiful photos of Lake Ann; God makes the prettiest scenery for us! How do you find time for all of this work and fun?!!
Love,
Ju

DollyDumpling said...

Those socks, Nancy! I feel so inadequate, sitting in my two sizes too big, sweater. Hhat would I tell my pupils? "Mark it down as a learning experience"

Oh well, back to the needles!

PS
I've added to my blog whilst you been knee deep in snow.

Unknown said...

You doggie looks like a blast! I can't believe you can knit things such as beautiful socks! Incredible, do you find that cold weather inspires such intricate projects in wool? :-) My friends mom knits extraordinary things too. She is living in Minnesota. She made me beaded wrist warmers. They are great for extending your sleeves and blocking the gap between gloves and shirts. I admittedly wear them for looks. Okay, I might be inspired to knit after seeing your work. For now, get the kids grown up a bit, LOL! I have enough with my fitness drills (mom's release)... Love your blog. Stylishly designed and love the forms too! I love to sew. Make custom baby stuff (blankets, bedding, all that fancy boutique stuff). Had a little business until little miss KK decided that she didn't like the sound of that sewing machine or me bending over it cramping her space inside my tummy! Never took the business back up... Graphic design projects came up and pay better. I'll go back. A few ladies and I have decided to have a sewing circle club. I'm supposed to create the logo.
Environmental Architecture fulltime? I'm freelance... Nice that way.