Monday, February 11, 2008

Time for Hunkerin' Down

Dear Alice, and all my dear friends...T, Ellen, Mary U, Mari-Ann, Pat, Mary R, Mary S, many others, and family, too!

What a wintry blast we experienced yesterday! We survived it, though. It was a good day for working with yarn (preferably on one's lap). That, however, did not work out. Instead I had a really wonderful "lap warmer" for about an hour in the afternoon, one who didn't feel the best this week. Since the fox fur cuffs that I found in an antique shop in the UP a couple of years ago have been left out to consider what they want to become, Stewart decided they would make a good hat. One is too small for an adult hat, no matter what your head size, but they do make a pretty good-looking Eskimo hat for a sweet grandson, the best lap warmer in the world!

'Til the next time,
Nancy

2 comments:

DollyDumpling said...

Hi Nancy,
Scott led me to your blog.
I was really impressed by the fact that you spin your yarn as well as knitting it! What tools do you need to do it.
Those socks! WOW- I was trying to work out the pattern, they look so cosy, but I suppose you need them when the wind chill factor is -26!
I could never turn a heel, no matter how hard my mum tried to show me.I have to stick to large needles now, as my joints are too sore for fine guage. That's my excuse. I need fast knitting and instant results as I just don't have the patience for fine work you do.
I tend to spend my time now making jewellery and greetings cards, which keeps me really busy. However, I will do a piece of embroidery to embellish the cards.
My son's mother in law and I go to crafters' fairs and come back enthused to try something new, like lace making, but it soon falls by the wayside as family and work take over.
However, as I'm going to be off work much longer than a I anticipated, I'm going to knit myself a jacket.
I'll need to go online and fine a pattern and some interesting wool.
I look forward to hearing more about your creativity
Kindest regards Mary H

Nancy JC said...

Mary H,

Thanks for your comments! I find that any one of these efforts just takes practice, practice, practice! In the beginning I had to learn knitting just because I was spinning. Most of the time knitting is a mindless pursuit so that I wake fully before I tackle the day. ;)

I don't consider myself a lace knitter...I love color much more, so Mom's sox took a l-o-n-g time.

Good luck on your knitted jacket! I would love to see it when you have finished. Be well and strong soon!

Nancy JC